Sustainable Conservation and Development of Srirangapatna Heritage Town
June 2006 – June 2007.
In the context of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission, the initiative aims to develop a framework for making Indian cities sustainable. As a part of the reforms that Local Urban Bodies would be required to undertake in the process of urban renewal, the framework could serve as a tool to assess where cities stand with respect to sustainability and guide its planning and intervention to move towards the goals of sustainability. The framework adopts a holistic and comprehensive approach. The framework aims to include on the one hand the latest research and international conventions on sustainability, mainly from cities in the advanced economies of Western Europe and North America. On the other hand, the framework also reflects the realities of local institutions and cultural practices to develop guidelines and tools particular to the context of Indian cities.
- Definition of culture heritage and identifying heritage elements in Srirangapatna.
- Defining and conceptualizing the a historic cultural landscape.
- Identifying heritage characteristics of Srirangapatna’s built form.
- Analysis and conceptualization of the presentation of heritage elements to tourists.
- Conceptualization of potentials and challenges to conservation of heritage.
- Conceptualization of potentials and challenges to tourism development.
- Analysis of local needs and resources.